- Found Kitten
- Hedges and Trees within the Village
- Thursford Christmas Spectacular Show 2016
- Memorial Garden Update
- Womens Institute - August 2016
- Ride and Stride for Churches
- David Gibson Memorial Walk
- Moveable Feast
- Where is Little Wenden Church?
- EU Exit Referendum
- Village Hall AGM 2016 Minutes
- Summer Fayre - Big Thanks
- Church Bells
- Parish News Magazine
- Village Notes - August 2016
- Church Services for August 2016
- From Revd. Tim Hardingham - August 2016
- Womens Institute - Table Top Sale September 10th
- Notes about the roses planted at the village hall
- Proposed school bus services in Uttlesford
Disclaimer: Information on this site is a reflection of the opinions of contributors only. Although every effort will be made to ensure that information from the Parish Council displayed on the site is accurate, from time to time, the information may be out of date, or may contain misprints. Therefore Wendens Ambo Parish Council does not accept any liability for any losses or lack of system operation as a consequence of using information posted on this site.
Any user of this site should be aware that there are links to other sites not controlled by Wendens Ambo Parish Council. Consequently any user may be exposed to the use of "cookies". For a definition of "cookie" - please see http://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/HTTP_cookie. By using the Wendens Ambo Parish Council Site, the user is accepting any risks which may be present from this site or those sites for which a link has been made available.
Welcome to Wendens Ambo
Wendens Ambo is a small village of approximately 400 people originating from an ancient rural settlement that today is a thriving community in a unique location with excellent transport links.
It is set in attractive countryside approximately 2 miles south west of the pretty market town of Saffron Walden yet only 15 miles south of Cambridge and 40 miles north of London. The village has easy access to the M11 and the motorway network, its own mainline railway station named Audley End (Cambridge to London Liverpool Street) and is some 11 miles from Stansted airport.
Its unusual name originates from the joining of two villages, Great and Little Wenden to form Wendens Ambo meaning “both Wendens”.
The earliest signs of settlement are from the Roman period. Remains of a villa were found during an excavation in 1853 and finds of flint tools from 300-200BC suggest an even earlier settlement.
It is likely that the farming community of Wenden probably started around the sixth and seventh centuries, taking its name from the valley in which it lies: Wendene. The Domesday Book contains the first written account of Wenden Magna (Great Wenden) and Wenden Parva (Little Wenden). Wenden Magna was owned by Robert Gernon, a Frenchman who also had land in Stansted and Takely. Wenden Parva was also owned by a Frenchman, William de Warren. The Wendens passed through the Middle Ages as very ordinary English villages.
During the 17th century work began to rebuild the village dwellings, some of which are still occupied today. Also at this time, on the 23rd March 1662, Wenden Magna and Wenden Parva were joined to form Wendens Ambo.
The 18th and 19th centuries brought the industrial revolution and also the railway, providing opportunities for work elsewhere, contributing to Wendens Ambo becoming a commuter village for London and Cambridge.